Technical.ly is seeking an innovative Marketing Manager who is passionate about how digital platforms and storytelling can create more opportunities for our brand to connect into local technology communities.
Technical.ly serves a dual-sided marketplace with two distinct audiences: the technologists and entrepreneurs that consume our content and attend our events; and the buyers of our services, primarily oriented around talent acquisition. At the highest level, this Marketing Manager and is meant to attract and retain buyers interested in investing in the services that Technical.ly offers by using a broad set of digital tools, like SEO, newsletters, social media and partnerships to deliver qualified leads and relationships to our sales, events and editorial teams. Impact will be measured primarily around supporting our sales team to introduce our services into more companies, but this role will also deliver event attendees and help grow audience generally.
We’re seeking someone with an entrepreneurial mindset who is interested in defining how a modern newsroom with a unique product offering can better connect with these audiences. We are seeking someone who is excited about scaling and improving how we attract and qualify companies that want to reach our audience (primarily titles related to talent acquisition).
This position is ideal for someone who has an interest in marketing, publishing, and technology issues across the Mid-Atlantic in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Delaware, DC and beyond.
Candidates should likely possess the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years of marketing experience
- Coveted work style: Detail-oriented, analytical and testing-oriented, creatively-minded, strong storyteller who understands the power of brand
- Experience with SEO, analytics, performance monitoring and other trackable methods
- Highly independent with a desire to own and drive marketing results
- Passionate about connecting the dots between our various internal teams to ensure a consistent, quality product.
- Equally interested in connecting with our readers and clients to better understand how to improve and iterate on campaigns
- Impressive writing ability with roots and interest in journalistic storytelling
- Basic web design and UX skills and design management skills a must
- Excited by the idea of a media startup, which comes with great flexibility and impact, along with fast-moving change and high, competitive expectations
- Interest in online journalism or media preferred, but not required
- Experience with modern marketing tools such as Hubspot, SEMRush, Google Analytics, AdWords, Instapage and advertising platforms preferred, but not required
- An understanding of online content management systems, comparable blog software, and social media applications is required
- Knowledge of talent acquisition and attraction tactics and strategies for hiring clients a plus.
- Computer skills: strong with Google’s suite of products (particularly Google Docs)
- Comfort with social media tools like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Slack and the like
In this role, expect to spend half your time managing campaigns, a quarter of your time setting strategy and a quarter of your time measuring results and making improvements.
- Develop and implement an innovative digital-first marketing strategy to deliver consistent, qualified leads to our sales team
- Own our Hubspot marketing implementation and improve process to provide trackable results, such as finding ways to streamline our database, create and track campaigns, understand and improve our customer journey and ultimately improve our pipeline of marketing qualified leads
- Work cross-functionally with newsroom, product, events and sales team to mine internal data and reader insights and determine key trends and drivers to deliver results
- Bring creative ideas to the table on how to generate new leads for our sales team
- Find ways to improve and demonstrate our commitment to best-in-class talent acquisition connections for hiring companies and jobseekers at the top of the funnel across our website, newsletter and other social properties. Engage and delight our existing reader and customer base and while engaging new users
- Deeply understand and find new ways to demonstrate and improve our product brand, including working with Product, Editorial and Sales teams on key collateral
- Expect to work closely with Technical.ly’s newsroom, experimenting with cross-departmental methods of storytelling to better connect with our audience
- Partner with our editorial team to help develop new, smart ways to grow audience
- Manage end-to-end planning and execution of marketing campaigns, managing content calendar and gathering and improving on marketing assets, working with other teammates, freelance writers and on paid promotional campaigns
- Create, manage, monitor and iterate on performance for all marketing and lead generation initiatives including email campaigns, content marketing, nurturing programs, event activations and explore new ways to drive interest
- Create and manage landing pages and automated nurturing program to deliver qualified leads to sales team
- Improve social media efforts that is dedicated to connecting with our clients and readers
- Position includes base salary
- Position includes Bring-Your-Own-Device reimbursement
- Position includes competitive health coverage (we offer a defined contribution that amounts on average to 70 percent of an individual plan), including primary, vision and dental
- Position includes access to our company 401k plan
- Occasional travel along Northeast Corridor from roughly D.C. to New York
- This role will work out of our Philadelphia office
Our Mission: We convene the smartest people and organizations in industries that matter for local communities to thrive in the future. To do that, we make connections with journalism, events and services. Presently, we publish two niche news sites: Technical.ly, which focuses on local tech communities, and Generocity.org, which focuses on the social impact community of Philadelphia.
Our Story:Founded in Philadelphia in 2009 by Temple University graduates with backgrounds in journalism, the media startup has grown to more than 23 full-time employees and a wider network of contributors. We produce regular and annual events including the widely-publicized Philly Tech Week, which in April 2017 welcomed 15,000+ people across 150 events and 138 partners, and Baltimore Innovation Week, which in September 2016 hosted more than 9,000+ at 50+ events.
Our Values: Technically Media is a sustainable community acceleration organization. We value entrepreneurship, creativity, inclusion, flexibility, transparency and those who do, act and create, whom we highlight through news and events. Our team members are public community leaders who pursue new thinking, cherish local communities and are willing to ask challenging questions in order to get better answers. We use communication as a means for conflict resolution and community betterment. We have high standards for ourselves and others and consider professional goals to be personal ones as well.
Our Location: We are headquartered in the historic Curtis Center on beautiful Washington Square in Old City Philadelphia, with additional team members working out of vibrant coworking facilities in Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Delaware.
Apply for this job
Interested individuals should contact Chief Creative Officer Brian James Kirk ([email protected]) before Feb. 11. Please submit a resume, cover letter (with 2-3 references) and examples of campaigns that you’ve led and impact you’ve had. Plus, for kicks, attach your favorite .gif of the moment.